Monday, October 28, 2013

Movie Review: Captain Phillips


Wanna hear something crazy & insane?  The last movie I saw in theaters was almost four years ago.  FOUR YEARS!  Before I was pregnant with my oldest.  So when The Husband repeated over, and over, and over he wanted to see Captain Phillips every time the trailer came on TV, I decided we were overdue for a date night.  

For those of you who may not know, Captain Phillips is a true story of the Captain Richard Phillips.  His ship, the Alabama, was taken over by Somali pirates off the horn of Africa.  The pirates then took Captain Phillips hostage, hoping for a handsome ransom by the US Government for his safe return. 

Even though I knew how the story ended, it had been all over the news, I was on the edge of my seat.  I could feel my heart in the my throat as the pirates successfully attached a ladder to the edge of the boat and climbed aboard.  

I was holding my breath as the crew hid below, in the engine room, sweat dripping off their faces, silently begging whatever force there may be, to not be discovered.  I grabbed The Husbands arm when Captain Phillips made an escape attempt after being shoved into the lifeboat by the pirates.  

I have to say, ending my four year dry spell at the movies, I was not disappointed in our choice of movies.  Tom Hanks always does an amazing job in his roles and once again, he reinforces his star power in this role.  

I give this movie two thumbs up!  

I paid for the tickets to this movie on my own, I was in no way compensated by either the movie theater or the public relations of Captain Phillips to write this review/post.  All thoughts & opinions are my own.   

No comments:

Post a Comment